IGNOU MEG-2 British Drama RCT Questions

 

IGNOU MEG-2 British Drama - Block-wise Reference to Context type questions based on previous old question papers


Block-1 Christopher Marlowe : Doctor Faustus


Thou traitor, Faustus, I arrest thy soul, For disobedience to my sovereign Lord.  


Wha t boots it then to think of God or heaven ? Away with such fancies and despair; Despair in God, and trust in Beelzebub ... Abjure this magic, turn to God again.


Why then, belike we must sin, and so consequently die. Ay, we must die an everlasting death. What doctrine call you this, Che sera, sera, "What will be shall be" ? Divinity, adieu ! 


Tush, these are trifles and mere old wives' tales.  


Homo fuge! Whither should I fly ? If unto God, he'll throw me down to hell.  - I


0 God, If thou wilt not have mercy on my soul Yet, for Christ's sake, whose blood hath ransom'd me Impose some end to my incessant pain.


When I behold the heavens, then I repent, And curse thee, wicked Mephistophilis, Because thou halt deprived me of those joys.  


Hell hath no limits, nor is circumscribed In one self-place; for where we are is hell, And where hell is, there must we ever be : 


His faith is great; I cannot touch his soul; But what I may afflict his body with I will attempt, which is but little worth.  


Helen, whose beauty caused

Troy to burn, will do

the same for faustus ; the

immortality offered by

the kisses of a demon lover is an

eternity in hell. 


Now, Faustus, must thou needs be damn'd ? Canst thou not be sav'd ? Despair in God, and trust in Beelzebub. Now go not backward, Faustus; be resolute : Why waverest thou ? - II


Her lips suck forth my soul: See where it flies ! Come, Helen, come, give me my soul again.  


Let Faustus live in hell a thousand years, A hundred thousand and at last be saved ! 0, no end is limited to damned souls ! Why wert thou not a creature wanting soul ? Or why is this immortal that thou hast ? 


This soul should fly from me, And I be changed into some brutish beast. 


 

Block-2 William Shakespeare : A Midsummer Night's Dream


Thou speak'st aright I am the merry wanderer of the night. I jest to Oberon, and make him smile When I a fat and bean-fed horse beguile, Neighing in likeness of a filly foal And sometimes lurk I in a gossip's bowl.  


... the spring, the summer, The childing autumn, angry winter, change Their wonted liveries, and the mazed world, By their increase, now knows not which is which. And this same progeny of evils comes From our debate, from our dissension; We are the parents and original.


Have you no modesty, no maiden shame, No touch of bashfulness ? What, will you tear. Impatient answers from my gentle tongue ? 


If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended, That you have but slumbered here 'While these visions did appear. And this weak and idle theme, No more yielding but a dream, Gentles, do not reprehend; If you pardon, we will mend : 


Sweet Helen, make me immortal with a kiss. Her lips suck forth my soul: see, where it flies ! Come, Helen, come, give me my soul again. Here will I dwell, for heaven is in these lips, And all is dross that is not Helena !


You do advance your cunning more and more. When truth kills truth, 0 devilish-holy fray ! These vows are Hermia's: will you give her o'er ? Weigh oath with oath, and you will nothing weigh.


Why should you think that I should woo in

scorn?

Scorn and derision never come in tears.

Look when I vow, I weep; and vows-so born,

In their nativity all truth appears.


Your vows to her and me, put in two scales, will even weigh; and both as light as tales. 


--- a s imagination bodies forth The forms of things unknown, the poet's pen Turns them to shapes, and gives to aery nothing A local habitation and name.  


Block-3 William Shakespeare : Hamlet


List, list, 0 list ! If thou didst ever thy dear father love ... Revenge his foul and most unnatural murder ... 

0, my offence is rank, it smells to heaven, It had the primal eldest curse upon't A brother's murder ! Pray can I not. ':'hough inclination be as sharp as will.  - II


0, that this too too solid flesh would melt Thaw and resolve itself into a dew ! Or that the Everlasting had not fix'd His canon `gainst self-slaughter !  - I


To die, to sleep; To sleep : perchance to dream : ay, there's the rub.  - I


To be, or not to be : That is the question — Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take up against a sea of troubles, And, by opposing, end them ? To die, to sleep — No more ...  - II


'Tis now the very witching time of night, When churchyards yawn and hell Itself breathes out contagion to this world. Now could I drink hot blood, and do Such bitter business as the bitter day Would quake to look on 


We'll put on those shall praise your excellence And set a double varnish on the fame The Frenchman gave you; bring you, in fine, together, And wager o'er your heads: he, being remiss, Most generous and free from all contriving, Will not peruse the foils; ... 


Such an act That blurs the grace and blush of modesty, Calls virtue hypocrite, takes off the rose From the fair forehead of innocent love And sets the blister there, make marriage vows As false as dicers' oaths - 0, such a deed ...  - I


My words fly up, my

thoughts remain below :

words without thoughts never

to heaven go. - I


If then last nature in thee

bear it not,

Let not the royal bed of

Denmark bell

Adien, adien, adien, remember me. 


Give me that man that is not passion's slave, and I will wear him In my heart's core, ay in my heart of heart, As I do thee--



Block-4 Ben Jonson : The Alchemist


Our youth and strength with drinking the elixir, And so enjoy a perpetuity of life and lust. 


'Tis the secret Of nature naturized 'gainst all infections, Cures all diseases coming of all causes; A month's grief in a day; a year's in twelve;  


0, good sir! There must be a world of ceremonies pass, you must be bathed, and fumigated, first;


0, what else, sir?

And that you'll make her royal with the stone,

And empress; and yourself king of Bantam. 



Will you believe antiquity ? Records ? I'll shew you a book, where Moses and his sister, And Solomon have written of the art; Ay, and a treatise penn'd by Adam — 


Was not all the knowledge Of the Egyptians writ in mystic symbols ? Speak not the Scriptures oft in parables ? - I


The children of perdition are, oft-times Made instruments even of the greatest works. Beside, we should give somewhat to man's nature, The place he lives in, still about the fire, And fume of metals, that intoxicate The brain of man, and make him prone to passion.


There is a ship now, coming from Ormus, That shall yield him such a commodity of drugs - This is the west, and this the south ? 


I am a young beginner, and am building Of a new shop, and it like your worship; just, At corner of a street. (Here's the plot on't) And I would know by art, sir, of your worship, Which way I should make my door, by necromancy, And, where my selves. And, which should be for boxes. And, which for pots


What a miracle she is ? Set all the eyes Of court a - fire , like a burning glass, And work 'em into cinders ; when the jewels Of twenty states adorn thee, and the light Strike out the stars; and that , when thy name is mentioned, Queens may look pale :  


Block-5 The Playboy of the Western World


I hit a blow on the ridge of his skull, laid him stretched out, and he split to the knob of his gullet. - II


From this out I'll have no want of company when all sorts is bringing me their food and clothing (he swaggers to the door, tightening his belt), the way they'd set their eyes upon a gallant orphan cleft his father with one blow to the breeches belt - I


" and I not knowing at all there was the like of you drawing nearer, like the stars of God."


Well, you're the walking playboy of the Western World, and that's the poor man yciu had divided to his breeches belt. 


Block-6 Bernard Shaw: Pygmalion


Galatea never does quite like Pygmalion : relation to her is too godlike to be alt( )gether agreeable.  


But you have no idea how frightfully interesting it is to take a human being and change her into a quite different human being by creating a new speech for her. It's filling up the deepest gulf that separates class from class and soul from soul.  - I


I shall make a duchess of this draggle-tailed guttersnipe. 


But when it comes to business, to the life

that she really leads as distinguished from

the life of dreams and fancies, she likes

Freddy and she likes the Colonel; and she

does not like Higgins and Mr. Doolittle.

Galatea never does quite like Pygmalion: his

relation to her is too godlike to be altogether

agreeable.


Women upset everything. When you let them into your life, you find that the woman is driving at one thing and you're driving at another.  - I


I'm only a common ignorant girl: and in my station I have to be careful. There can't be any feelings between the like of you and the like of me. 


A woman who utters such depressing and

disgusting sounds has no right to be

anywhere - no right to live


Such was Pythagoras' thigh, Pandora's tub And all the fable of media's charms. The manner of our work; 



Block-7 T.S. Eliot: Murder in the Cathedral


They know and do not know, what it is to act or suffer They know and do not know, that action is suffering And suffering is action. - IIII


We have only to conquer Now, by suffering. This is the easier victory. Now is the triumph of the cross. 


It is not in time that my death shall be known; It is out of time that my decision is taken If you call that a decision To which my whole being gives entire consent. I give my life To the law of God above the law of Man. - I


Block-8 John Osborne: Look In Anger


I keep looking back, as far as

I remember, and I can't think

What it was to feel young,

really young. - I


There are cruel steel traps lying about everywhere, just waiting for rather mad, slightly satanic and very timid little animals. Right ? 


Nearly four years of being in the same room with you, night and day, and I still can't stop my sweat breaking out when I see you doing something as ordinary as leaning over an ironing board. 


One day, when I'm not longer spending my days running a sweet-stall, I may write a book about us all It'll be recollected in fire and blood. My blood. 


Why, why, why, why do we let these women bleed us to death ? Have you ever had a letter, and on it is franked 'Please Give Your Blood Generously' ? Well, the Postmaster-General does that, on behalf of all the women of the world ... There aren't any good, brave causes left ... No, there's nothing left for it, me boy, but to let yourself be butchered by the women. 


I rage and shout my head off, and every one thinks = poor chap!" or = What an objectionable young man?" But that girl there can twist your arms off with her silence --- I want to be there when you grooved. I want to be there, I want to watch it. I want the front seat. 


But, you see, I was the only one who cared. His family were embarrassed by the whole business. Embarrassed and irritated ... We, all of us waited for him to die ... Every time I sat on the edge of his bed, to listen to him talking or reading to me, I had to fight back my tears. At the end of twelve months, I was a veteran ... you see, I learnt at an early age what it was to be angry — angry and helpless. And I can never forget it. I knew more about — love ... betrayal ... and death, when I was ten years old than you will probably know all your life. - II


There's hardly a moment when I'm not - watching and wanting you . I've got to hit out somehow . Nearly four years of being in the same room with you , night and day , and I still can't stop my sweat break - ing out when I see you doing -- something as ordinary as leaning over an ironing board.  


Block-9 Samuel Beckett: Waiting for Godot


Astride of a grave and a difficult birth. Down in the hole, lingeringly, the gravedigger puts on the forceps. We have time to grow old. The air is full of our cries. But habit is a great deadener. 


Suppose we repented "Our being born". 


Have you not done tormenting me with your accursed time ! ... One day, is that not enough for you, one day he went dumb ... one day we are born, one day we shall die, the same day, the same second ... - I


Vladimir : Charming evening we are having. Estragon : Unforgettable Vladimir : And it's not over. Estragon : Apparently not. -- Estragon : It's awful. Vladimir : Worse than mine. Estragon : The circus.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letters to ARBUTHNOT

Age of Chaucer

Epithalamion and Prothalamion Summary & Analysis plus Notes